Tori Gate

Tori Gate

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day Two

I will try and reduce the size of my postings :) Yesterday was Sunday and we headed out to Harajuku on the Tokyo Metro to see the Japanese teenagers who meet on Sundays down by the train station to take part in Cosplay, (short for "costume roleplay", is a type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Characters are often drawn from popular fiction in Japan, usually anime characters). Also, to tour the Meiji Shrine. Well, the cosplay teenagers were in short supply. I read somewhere that the locals complained about the crowds and noise and it was now discouraged. Here are some pics...

Meiji Jingu is a Shinto shrine. Shinto is called Japan's ancient original religion, and it is deeply rooted in the way of Japanese life. Shinto has no founder, no holy book, and not even the concept of religious conversion, but Shinto values for example harmony with nature and virtues such as "Magokoro (sincere heart)". In Shinto, some divinity is found as Kami (divine spirit), or it may be said that there is an unlimited number of Kami. You can see Kami in mythology, in nature, and in human beings. From ancient times, Japanese people have felt awe and gratitude towards such Kami and dedicated shrines to many of them. Okay enough of the wikipedia definition :) Upon entering the Meiji Shrine we came across two young people dressed in kimonos and they asked if they could guide us around the shrine to help them with their English. They are University of Tokyo students who are in an English club. They did not want money, but I brought some little souvenirs from Florida, pens that said Florida on them with alligators and gave them to them to say "thank you". They REALLY liked their pens. It really was a great way to talk to Japanese youth and learn from them. Mom, Leonel and I broke off with our separate guides and learned all about the shrine. Funny thing, both mom and I asked our guides what they thought about the move "The Cove". If you are not familiar with it, click here...  When I asked him what he thought of the movie, about the annual, senseless killing of dolphins, he said it was "radical". I was a little surprised, but I know they defend their actions by stating it's part of their culture. He asked me what I thought and I said as much as I try to respect other people's cultures I do have a hard time understanding the killing of defenseless and highly intelligent creatures. I then stated at one point is the suppression of women by stoning them to death for infidelity not a case of women's rights...at what point is the mutilation of young girls in Africa, not cultural, but a case of children's rights, etc.... Just something to think about. The Japanese, on a whole, are so gracious, quiet, and civil, it just seems like such a juxtaposition for them to kill dolphins and whales. Oh, he did reference "Whale Wars". I asked him if other Japanese felt differently than him and he said "yes". I said that is good to have people with different points of view. We moved on, since we were so lucky to see a Japanese wedding taking place in the courtyard. I jockeyed with the wedding photographer for some good shots and I think a got a few. It was beautiful. After the wedding, we exchanged emails and thanked them for their time. I think we learned more from them, than they learned from us. Went back to the hotel to shower and get ready for Shinjuku to take care of some train details for the 10th to Kyoto and check out the camera stores. I didn't find the prices any better than Al could get on the Internet, but I did buy some filters for my lens. Oh, we did find a great place to eat lunch yesterday in Shibuya...the best Odon noodles.

PS...some observations....they are great at recycling (got some pics, of course), there are strangely no flies..I think they are just so efficient with their garbage....also, as advanced they are in technology, it's funny that their electrical wires are hanging all across the streets, similar to San Francisco...I wonder if it has to do with earthquake prone areas...and their toilets are too cool.

Okay...off today to see Sheena and Alex and get ready to hike Mt. Fuji. Hopefully, in my next entry I will be declaring our success with tackling the summit of Mt. Fuji!!!

Love to all!!!

 Our new friends at the Meiji Shrine

Japanese wedding at the Meiji Shrine

Cosplay Japanese teen

in the Shinjuku station...she was kind enough to let us take a picture

No comments:

Post a Comment